Welcome to Lake Brunner
One of the fastest growing tourism
destinations on the West Coast
Heaps to see and do
- 7 Lakes nestled up against a dramatic alpine and rainforest ecosystem to explore
- The tranquil village of Moana on the shores of Lake Brunner, Kotuku whaka oho
- World class fishing both river and lake, fishing available all year around
- Water activities – kayaking, swimming, boating
- Star gazing – clear unpolluted night skys
- 7 NZ Department of Conservation walks, two departing from the village
- Glow worm grottos accessible from village
- Bike tracks vary in difficulty and length, making for differing levels of suitability
- Bird watching, swamps and wetlands, all within a pristine rainforest ecosystems
- Maori and European history, echoing the New Zealand/Aotearoa journey
- Historic and current gold mining trails to explore
- World famous daily Tranz Alpine train and daily bus service
- Central hub to many of the West Coast’s attractions and visitor spots
Free fresh air, just made, don’t miss out!
Moana & lake brunner
The main township is Moana, situated on the northern end of the Lake.
Moana is 37 kilometres inland from Greymouth and serviced daily by both the TranzAlpine train and a daily shuttle bus service en route to Greymouth/Christchurch. The lake and township are easily accessible from either Arthur’s Pass or Lewis Pass, making the area an ideal base camp for a unique West Coast holiday.
The TranzAlpine train stops at Moana where passengers can disembark for a 2.40mins stopover to enjoy either a lake cruise, trout fishing, visiting the pottery, lunch time dining or enjoying one of the many walks around the village. Stay a night or two and enjoy all that the surrounding area has to offer.
Location & drive times